Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cooking Spree

Well, today I attempted to cook 4 complete meals in a two to three-hour time frame.
The good news is, I managed to pull it off. The bad (oh-so-so-SO-mild I don't even mind) is that I took four hours. Hahaha.

If you're wondering why yours truly here is so cuckoo in the head to do this kind of thing, wonder no more. I'm involved in this ministry called Royal Rangers, an (AG) Christian youth ministry for boys and girls, and I am working on a merit. The merit in question is the cooking merit, a merit that I need to use. And one of the requirements is to cook 4 complete meals (read: a drink, a starter, a main and a dessert), plus two individual items. And I had to use at least 3 cooking methods. The planning of the menu was so stressful I tell you. I was practically ready to scream and all. LoL. But, on Saturday, yesterday, I managed to tie up the (very) loose strings of my menu/s. =)

I shall spare you the boring details of the stressful haphazard menu planning (trust me, to you it is boring) and skip straight to today's happenings.

It started after church, during the early afternoon. I was helping my Commander to set up the place and check the portable gas stoves. Oh, and I got out the charcoal stove to light my charcoal fire. =) Its fun to set things on fire, have I mentioned? But too bad I was too busy to do any frivolous burning today. =( But my main focus was to finish off my requirement so I won't have to worry about the practical anymore, so I'm not too upset about not being able to play with fire today. =) There will be other days.

I started off doing fish in tinfoil (with lemon and chilli) served with spaghetti, having mushroom soup as the starter. My dessert for this was an apple. The drink was green tea with lime (BOH iced tea anyone?!) and to my delight my Senior Commander said I passed my first meal. Hahaha! Then, while a picture of the meal was being taken (as proof of the cooking), I realized that my apple was senget-ted. LoL. I mean, seriously. Senget-ted! Like the leaning tower of Pisa! Just that this one is apple shaped and edible. Heehee.

Next up was rice with panfried chicken and sprouts, served with (again) mushroom soup as the starter. Dessert was strawberries and the drink was a lemony kind of thing. My SC was like, "This is like East meets West!" I couldn't help but agree (though I planned this menu, I can't help but think its a lil mixed up).

Third on my list was spaghetti in Prego with chicken, served with a (yet again) mushroom soup starter and strawberries as dessert. The drink to accompany was some currant thingy. By this time the stress was getting to me, as were the sleepless nights thinking about today's work. I was slightly panicky, but managed to hold myself together. =)

Lastly was a mushroom soup starter (yes, I'm kinda sick of mushroom soup by now too), a baked potato with sour cream main, with a baked apple. Yes, you heard me right. A baked apple. Cored, stuffed with sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and wrapped in tinfoil before being put on the coals. Woohoo. And guess what? My knife got borrowed by some kids (taken, rather), so I couldn't like core my apple properly. So guess what I did? I used a spoon. Not just any spoon, but a plastic disposable spoon. And the result? A well cored apple!! Yay! I believe I've just done a never-before-attempted-thing. XD Too bad I don't have any candid pictures to show though. Camera battery was acting up. T_T

Oh, and remember the individual items? I managed to cram in making another baked potato, and boiled an egg. LoL. I know what you're thinking: What?! Just boil a freaking egg?! Just you listen, I boiled it in a paper cup. No, your eyes aren't acting up. I boiled an egg in a paper cup. Over charcoal. Ask me if you're interested to know how. =)

You may be thinking, where did all that food go? Well, some of it I demolished, but as for some of the rest I had help. =) This little kid was hungry so he polished off my baked potato with sour cream (thanks Ethan!!). The baked apple went to my Commander (though I was SO tempted) because without her, I won't have been able to get the details and help I needed. I can't really remember what happened to the rest, but I'll tell you this, I was exhilarated to have pulled of such a stunt and to have survived through it. Though now I'm aching all over and in dire need of some shuteye. XD

All in all I had a filled day. So many things (random ones too!) happened I almost can't stop talking about it. =)


I shall go to the land of oblivion for the next few hours to refresh myself. XD

Ciao people!

*Camporama 09 is coming up! Wheeeeeeeee~*

No comments:

Post a Comment