Well actually I've been back for quite some days already by now (but it feels like so long!). Got back home around 5 on Saturday, and was so knackered I was out by 8:30, waking up 13 hours later.
Camporama was awesome [!!!] and I just can't wait for the next one (I don't mind going back in time either =D). It was exciting, awesome, and exhilarating. The days passed so fast we were kinda taken by surprise when the time came to break camp and head home. But all camps do come to an end, and this was one of them. But it was an experience I definitely don't regret going for.
The first day we arrived it was already midday and the eye of heaven [sound familiar, anyone?] was blazing its way down. We were being sapped of energy, and fast. But when we were in the hall for orientation, everyone regained their energy to shout and cheer as we were introduced to key people in the camp, like our camp commander, his deputy, and our four mayors for this year. Later on we had our games and highlights. There were eight games to complete in order for us to obtain our Skillarama pin [which looks wickedly awesome, by the way], various little challenges that look deceptively easy at first sight but actually called for some amount of accuracy and precision. Among the highlights we had were the flying fox, FCF village, lasertag, etc. And before I forget to mention, for an NS camp, after all the horror stories I've heard, the campsite, food and all were actually not too shabby! Later at night each of us gathered at our own cities for 'City Night', where we had a skit and later a devotion. I could sleep late-er, and very legally since I was helping the camp newsletter. Heehee..
The next day, we had parade [fall in] in the morning before having our intercity games championship. First up was Ultimate Frisbee, followed by a Cardboard Regatta. Yep, c-a-r-d-b-o-a-r-d regatta. Dangerous as it sounds, its assuredly safe. Very safe. Basically it required a team from each of the cities to build a boat, given its dimensions. And the boat is to be used in the regatta challenge. There were two ways to win this championship, one of which is to -duh- win the race. The other was to sink -yes, sink- in the most gaya fashion possible. Impossible to have the boat even to float, you say? Well all four boats floated, even with two people in each. China, my city, had a good lead, but a lil slip let Japan take first place. Trailing a little behind and sinking was India. Australia never left the platform very much, sinking about 5 minutes after it was in. China won 2nd place in both these games, with India emerging champions of Ultimate Frisbee and Japan, of Cardboard Regatta. After lunch it was time for Skillarama and highlights again, until 5:30 when we were to freshen up for dinner before going for rally. Also we could go visit the cities and meet the mayor to get our city pins. I went to India and boy oh boy, it was really India! Gandhi was walking around [this guy shaved his whole head to really look the part], and at the cricket area Sachin Tendulkar and a few others were there, ready to play some cricket. And then there was even food and drinks to go round! Indian cuisine... yumm.. Then to Australia I went. To get the city pin, we first had to play some rubgy. When it was my turn, me and the people in the same round as me had to dance throughout the 'rugby game'. Crazy times. Others I've seen had to play slow-mo, or even with only one hand and foot. Wacky rugby. Rally was great. We had a skit by Sel#7 on saying and doing something [appropriately, of course] when the situation calls for it, and not ignoring it thinking it isn't our problem. Pastor later spoke on King David and how God had put him in place to serve Him. As I've mentioned before, I had the priviledge to be awake later on after Lights Out, legally, since I was helping out with the camp newsletter. =D
The next day, after parade we had another intercity games championship, this time lasertag. Twas crazy fun! The round I played, our mission was to basically keep killing the opponent in a given timeframe. I got killed three times, which was all the chances each of us had. My team captain has the option of 'reviving' team members, and when he was 'reviving' me [after a difficult task of not getting shot himself], I managed to get to the first hide-and-shoot area, but before I managed to kill anyone else, time was up. -.-
The bright side was that China won India 25-22 and we were off to the finals. Hee..
We ended up getting 2nd place [we are so consistent! C=], with Australia as the champs. Since I was on the first team and it was the second team who were to battle it out at the finals, I was shouting myself hoarse cheering them on. After lunch we could visit each of the cities and get their city badge [again, wickedly awesome lookin critters], as per the day before. I went to Japan and watched a tea preparation ceremony. Sitting in the traditional Japanese way numbs the feet I tell you. While we were there we saw the judges [judging the best city] and were entertained seeing them being taught how to dance. Off to the flyingfox I went for I had not done it yet and then quickly to the city of China to help out when the judges were to come to our city. I was helping out at the traditional desserts area along with Naomi and she was such a great help explaining things to the judges. When it came to the time we were telling the judges about 'tang yuan' and the baby myth, we were so surprised that they got quite excited about it, one telling the other, "Come, I'll make more tang yuan for you to eat!" But of course it was all in jest-la.. Josephine was handling the sweet syrup which we were serving the tang yuan with [Naomi and I were just teaching the peeps how to make the tang yuan]. After the judges were done they went off and we were sort of officially closed, so we could pretty much relax and not worry too much about the city anymore. We still had some visitors, no doubt, but it was all so much more relaxed. Hehe.. The conversations were super funny. After we had dinner it was time for rally again, and this time pastor felt the need to pray for each of the leaders. After rally was over it was time for some supper and later on to go lepak at the supply house [while writing some material for the newsletter] where there was air conditioning. =D
The last day came and we were all feeling heavyhearted [I know I was! Still am, actually] to leave, knowing it will be some time before we meet again. Those in and around KL and Selangor not so much, coz we have another exciting albeit smaller district camp next year where we can all meet up [actually we can meet up anytime since we're all relatively near]. But as for those from Johor, Melaka, Pahang, its so f a r a w a y... Well I guess this is when the internet comes in handy. =)
Oh, and I know I mentioned that I was going to post up pictures, but things were so hectic I didn't get many chances to take good photos. So I guess next time when I get hold of the pictures from my friends then. Till the next time, take care!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment